Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A Very Honduran Christmas

Well folks, Christmas in Honduras has come and gone and it has turned out to be a great experience. Being away from family and friends was hard, but not as hard as I thought. Thanks to everyone who sent me words of encouragment and prayers! Celebrating Christmas out of the norm was a great chance to reflect on what Christmas is really all about and to see it through the eyes of another culture.




This last week I spent a lot of time listening to the same Christmas songs over and over on my computer. The line from Silent Night about ¨mother and child¨struck me as I thought about how many of these humble mothers and children I know around the neighborhood. I feel like I get to know Jesus a little better each day when I get to know people who live like he lived: poor, persecuted, humble, immigrant, oppressed, and rejected. What do Jesus´words mean as I hear them, knowing more and more who He was? I think about the simple idea that I chose for my Christmas card ¨Rejoice! Rejoice! He is with us¨. His presence is true, something that seems mysterious to me as I see so much suffering around me. How does the harsh reality of Nueva Suyapa fit with the perfect and intimate presence of Jesus and his Kingdom? This is what I don´t see, but what I hope for.


Celebrating with Honduran friends at midnight


Gringo Christmas brunch on the 25th

2 comments:

hlw said...

Your post made me smile - I am so glad that you had a great day!

janel said...

You have been in my prayers, and I can tell that God is blessing you richly! Love to you Anna!