Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Just a few reasons why I love my job....

Last week, Honduras Puerta al Mundo (HPAM) hosted two youth missions forums. Over 200 youth from around the city attended. We had music and also a panel of Hondurans who have gone out as missionaries. The panel responded to questions from the moderator and the crowd. I was blown away by their answers as it became clear that God is really at work here....

What is missions? "missions is the duty of the church, not another ministry"

Why leave Honduras to be a missionary when there are so many needs here? "Honduras is not a mission field, but a missions force.... the spiritual needs of the unreached world are a priority for me"

How were you called to the trans-cultural mission field? What was the process like? "there were various moments in my life when I knew God was calling me.... God spoke to me through dreams and prayer times..... my pastor doubted me, I've been discouraged to be a missionary because our church doesn't send out missionaries...God spoke to me as I sought him in the midst of the tragedy of Hurricane Mitch here in Honduras..."


We also had the privilege to do a presentation about the agency and to have a visiting SP missionary who works in India share at a few different churches. One small church we visited here in Nueva Suyapa has been in existence for 20 years. Jen's presentation was the first time they had met a cross-cultural missionary who didn't work in Honduras. Our presentation about missions was the first time they had been asked as a church to be a part of missions, their first missions experience. Their response was overwhelming and so exciting... such a great thing to be a part of.

1 comment:

hlw said...

It's so good to hear that you love your job and that you are in such a wonderful place!!