Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I am...








I was inspired to write an I Am poem, something I learned in my children's literature class, as a way of sharing about our new life in Santa Lucia. Enjoy

I am by Anna de Jiménez
I am the last little green house at the end of the road,
I am coffee and plantains and tortillas,
I am planning menus and learning to make beans.
I am using our new washing machine and hanging laundry on the covered porch with a view.
I am the sound of school children across the street, practicing for a parade.
I am Skype calls to home.
I am washing dishes, ironing, baking and cleaning.
I am foggy mornings, quiet nights and green gardens.
I am the constant fan in the bedroom, keeping the closet from getting moldy.
I am birds of paradise, guayabas and limes.
I am tile floors, hammocks and a little plastic dinning table for two.
I am quiet times in the red chair on the porch.
I am commuting a two hour, three bus adventure to the office.
I am Santa Lucia, cobblestone streets, the little Catholic church and friendly neighbors.
I am away from the aggressiveness of the city, the traffic and the noise.
I am away from my dear neighbors, old friends and family.
I am learning to be a wife, I am new habits and a new family.
I am a new church, a small group and friends.
I am walks to the soccer field, playing, frisbee and futbol.
I am Honduras, Colorado, Nueva Suyapa, Allenspark, Boulder, and Santa Lucia.
I am Strom and I am de Jiménez.
I am speaking Spanish, Spanglish and English.
I am hurting for Honduras, violence and desperation.
I am trust, peace, joy and hope.





2 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing your life!

Ann said...

Anna,

You take the most beautiful pictures. What a great poem.

All the best,
Ann from Slovakia